Wednesday 25 February 2015

Smoke and Mirrors - Imagine Dragons

I consider myself a massive Imagine Dragons fan, ever since I first heard 'Radioactive'. But when I heard the teaser for the 'Smoke and Mirrors' album (after pre-ordering the deluxe deluxe edition) I'll admit I was a little disappointed, I didn't get the sound and I thought it was too different from 'Night Visions'.
I haven't been more wrong. It's blown me away, I found myself loving every song, if I had to choose a least favourite it would actually be 'I Bet My Life', one that I had liked from the very beginning, before even ordering the album, because the other songs blow it out of the water. In my opinion 'I'm So Sorry' and 'Friction' are to of the most engaging tracks, they make me want to get up and go for a run. Then you have songs like 'Dream' and 'Release' which are so beautiful and you really get lost in the lyrics (which I may go into in another post). But just to funk it up, you have the quirky sound of 'Hopeless Opus' and 'Polaroid' which are completely unexpected, though still amazing.
This whole album reflects a massive range in sound, yet somehow manages to keep a consistency that makes it all fit together beautifully. And despite the fact that many people (like my mother) complained 'Night Visions' was too unlike 'Radioactive', I personally think that 'Smoke and Mirrors' brings a little of that magic present in 'Radioactive' into every song. My 8 year old sister has listened the whole way through once and on the second go round she is already singing along to every song and asking for it to get turned up. I count that as a win. An 8 year old, a 16 year old and a 43 year old all in love with the same album.
So, just to summarise; BUY THE ALBUM! You definitely won't regret it, the progression from 'Night Visions' and within the album itself is clear and certainly a step upwards. I can't wait to see what the guys from Imagine Dragons have planned for the next album.
More importantly, the band is soon to be on tour for this album. For those in the UK, this is in November and if, like me, you are desperate to go, you should definitely buy those tickets now because they are selling fast!

 
And in case you didn't know what the fabulous quartet look like, feast your eyes below!

No comments:

Post a Comment