Saturday 20 June 2015

Atlantis - Seafret

You might remember seeing my review of Seafret's 'Oceans' a few months ago (if not go check it out now!) where I said to keep your eyes peeled, well here's their new song 'Atlantis'. And like I said last time - It's brilliant.


The duo are back with that beautiful acoustic sound with this song, as usual it's a moving piece of music that draws you in. All their music makes me think of the ocean, I don't know what it is about them (possibly the water sound effects), but it makes me think of a relaxing day by the sea which just adds another dimension when you listen, it feels as if you're being taken away from daily life and provides a sense of escape.

I think that's what this song touches upon; having that place to escape, which in this case is this 'Atlantis'. Or at least, that's what the video would suggest. The lyrics themselves could be interpreted differently; as a relationship between two people that's falling apart. I love the ambiguity of it all, each listener will surely take the song in a different way, even the video is wonderfully vague and leaves you wondering. And by keeping us thinking about it you find yourself coming back to the song over and over again.


"I can’t save us, my Atlantis, we fall,
We built this town on shaky ground,
I can’t save us my Atlantis, oh no,
We built it up to pull it down"

 
Personally, I love this song. I love all their songs really, but this one is possibly my favourite. It really builds up throughout, taking the listener on a journey and keeping them engaged throughout. The song is open to interpretation and for this reason it becomes something personal to the reader. This connection between artist and listener is something many popular songs are missing, but Seafret seem able to forge this connection with every song.

If you liked this song, go out and buy it now! And give their other stuff a listen, because if you like one song I can almost guarantee you'll like it all.

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment